Quest Software today announced the upcoming release of Toad DevOps Toolkit.
The security software providers product offers a design to help organisations automate database changes within their existing DevOps continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) processes.
Within existing DevOps workflows without compromising quality, performance or reliability., developers and DBAs can q automate many of the critical database development functions.
Organisations implement DevOps strategies, while automating the process of software delivery and infrastructure changes.
DevOps establishes a culture and environment to build, test and release software in a rapid, frequent and reliable fashion by through agile methodologies across the IT teams.
If application updates require changes to the database DevOps often breaks down, because databases are historically developed and managed differently due to their complexity, development process and sensitive nature.
Database development frequently lacks code testing and reviews, source controls, and the ability to integrate with existing build automation processes.
The Toad DevOps Toolkit breaks down the common barriers associated with deploying database changes alongside application changes in the DevOps workflow by integrating those changes with the Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery aspects of DevOps processes.
With the Toolkit, Oracle database developers and DBAs can:
- Test PL/SQL against pre-defined requirements. The Code Tester feature helps test functionality of code to ensure quality during the automated build process and through continuous integration and deployment.
- Perform static code reviews to ensure quality standards and maintainability. Code Analysis provides an automated way to determine minimum quality level threshold during code reviews to relieve the challenges associated with reviewing coding standards.
- Compare and sync between source and target databases and generate sync scripts. Ensures schema, data and database integrity when deploying changes across database types — for example, from developer databases to quality assurance databases — and generates change scripts to deploy build artifacts into the DevOps pipeline.
- Promote build artifacts into target environment to visualise success/failure. Script execution simplifies the process of implementing changes.
- Integrate into virtually any continuous integration and continuous delivery tool:The Toad DevOps Toolkit is easily integrated into popular tools such as Jenkins, Bamboo and Maven.
Greg Davoll, executive director, Product Management and Marketing for Quest database management solutions, said: “The growth of hybrid environments and the adoption of DevOps practices are just two trends within the IT organisation that are changing the worlds of the database developer and the DBA as they know it.
“The DBA and developer need easy-to-use and reliable world-class solutions that help them navigate these trends and empower them to play an active role in the growth of their business. The products we’ve announced today – Toad DevOps Toolkit, Toad Oracle 2017 R2 and SharePlex v9.1 – are designed to do just that.”
Written from press release by Leah Alger